Tuesday, May 28, 2019

In the Name...

When many of us read the title of this post, we may just automatically finish with "of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".  It's one of the first things that Catholic families teach their children.  I love watching parents crossing their children and little ones crossing themselves the first few times.  These acts make me smile.  I love seeing the little ones treasure something that has become so automatic for me. 


Our parish recently did some adult education on the mass using the Word on Fire DVD series featuring Bishop Barron and then included some small and large group discussion.  I had no idea I had so much to learn until I did this course.  One of the topics that the Bishop talked about was the Sign of the Cross and what a powerful prayer it is.   When we make the Sign of the Cross, we are claiming ourselves for Jesus.  I have looked at this special and important prayer differently since then.

After that lesson, I paid more attention when signing myself, realizing what I was really doing.  I thought I had come to an awareness that was as significant as it would be.  But then I watched a gentleman in church sign himself and I gained a whole new appreciation.  This gentleman was a daily communicant and a fixture at our parish.  Always helping, always smiling.  Then he suffered two major strokes on the same day.  It was a serious situation and from what I understand it was touch and go for a while.  It took every ounce of faith, hope, love, and strength that he and his wife had to get through those trying months.  The rehab continues and his improvement is totally amazing.  But what made me stop in my tracks was the beginning of his first mass back, I looked on as he used every bit of focus and determination he had in him to make a sign of the cross.  The importance that he placed on praying this prayer with the rest of the congregation humbled me.  In his example, I really learned what it meant to truly appreciate this simple prayer.  After everything he had been through and the long road he knew was still ahead, this man was truly claiming himself and offering himself to his Lord and Savoir.

So often we are surrounded by extraordinary examples of faith and we aren't open enough to see and appreciate them.  I'm thankful that I noticed this incredible act.  It's an example and a lesson that I treasure.  I hope it's one that I continue to ponder in my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment